Thursday, April 28, 2016

A Lot Can Happen in a Year

By checking on my last blog, I realized just how fast a year can go (actually a year and three months, but who is counting?).
Last May, on a visit to my daughter, I found out that it isn't really wise for a woman of a certain age to play soccer with the dog. I hit the ground running, so to speak, and all my weight came down on my right shoulder. Thankfully, the shoulder itself wasn't damaged enough to bother with, but the upper arm bone was broken. It didn't need to be put in a cast (another thing I am very thankful for; immobilization for four weeks is the worst thing you can do with arthritis), but I did need to wear a sling for about three-and-a-half weeks with passive movement whenever the pain level allowed it.

As soon as I felt ready to do it, I picked up my knitting needles and managed a few stitches. Good, it was a start because one of my great fears about the whole incident was losing the ability to knit. This was a valid fear: I was already struggling with the effects of rheumatoid arthritis, and I was concerned that I might have lost whatever ability I still had.

Slow recovery, but eventually I have returned pretty much to where I was before--except for my hands. The shoulder and upper arm are fine, but for some reason (my doc says it is just a coincidence that my hand went wonky at the same time) after all the pain was over with and physical therapy had done its job, I realized the fingers on my right hand didn't want to do as they had done before--I was able to type, to freely move my fingers, to knit with no problem. After the accident and recovery, I realized I was typing with only my index finger as though I had no use of those other three fingers. As it turns out, I did have very little use of the middle finger--it didn't want to move as instructed. In fact, it is still recalcitrant in regards to being able to lift it much. Needless to say, this is a big problem with a lot of things when one is used to freely using her digits. And in addition, I now have a "goose egg" on my right wrist (another manifestation of RA) which impedes movement of the hand. It's just one jolly thing after another.

So enough of whining; see previous blog about having the right tools. This tool user is looking for ways to get around the fact that my primary tools (hands) are getting harder to work with and I must monitor closely the amount I use them, or I will cause a flare that will last three or more days: No knitting, no handwork any kind, unless I can do the job without using the flared joint.

I have continued knitting hats for the hospital, and some other projects as well, so have not been idle, at least in that area (housework is another story entirely!). I got curious about unfinished projects so decided to do a count of them: So far (seriously, I will get an idea and nothing will do but to start it right away), I have about 10 or 12 projects in various stages of progress. Eventually they will all get done.

I figure I have to live to 120 years to finish all my yarn--given I break no more bones or get laid up some other way.

Gnarly Gnitter, wishing you a better year than my last one.

No comments:

Post a Comment