Sunday, November 14, 2010

Current project: a neck scarf of brioche stitch. White with metallic thread running through. It is a problematic stitch because it creates unanticipated looseness. Had I known that (first time knitting an article with brioche stitch) I would have allowed for some edge stitches to rein in the looseness of the brioche. As it is, about half of the scarf has been knitted with sort of wavy side edges which aren't very attractive. So I decided to knit the first two stitches on each side in garter stitch and the rest in brioche and it is working nicely to give a crisp edge. But that leaves me with that loopy edge on what I've already done. Oh, I'll figure it out some how, maybe even go so far as to knit I-cord all around. Tedious, but it will work.
Another drawback with brioche: if it takes 6 rows of regular knitting to reach an inch, it will take 10 or 12 rows of brioche. It just keeps pulling up as you knit. Maybe it's all those slipped stitches?
The brioche I'm working on right now is ribbed and I think I will try a bit of a different style on it. Instead of knitting two together (the slipped stitch of the previous row along with its yo) in the usual way, I'm going to k2tog through the back loop, just to see what a difference it will make in the appearance. And if I keep this up, by the time I've reached scarf length, I will have to rip it back out because of all the experimentation making it look like a sampler instead of a neck scarf.
I also think I'm going to make some of these scarves on the knitting frame, because they will never get done by hand in time (Christmas). My one concern is the impact on my back. I can't sit very long at something like a sewing machine or knitting frame without having back pain. One must try.

No comments:

Post a Comment