Sunday, November 7, 2010

Gnarly Gnitter

Gnarly Gnitter is all about knitting, just in case you had trouble figuring out the name. I hope to make this blog a bit more than just how to do a really super loose cast on or cast off. I hope to knit my thoughts as well as yarn in this blog. So here goes:
At the moment I have at least five projects (there may be more in hiding, waiting to spring out when my back is turned): a cotton lace shell knitted from the top down; a shawl using Araucania Lonco variegated cotton, blue/green/turquoise/lavender; wool/nylon sox in similar colors; a pale yellow fine mohair "hug" (I guess you can call it a prayer shawl) and a white, very fine mohair shawl which has been in the beginning stage for months. Oh, did I mention the scarves I am knitting for our Meals on Wheels clients for Christmas?
I work at a Senior Center and we were donated a huge pile of yarn, mostly acrylic, lots of eyelash, some chenille and other novelty yarns. We figured a good way to use it up would be to knit neck scarves for our MOW clients as we live in a climate that can get pretty cold and windy (East of the Cascades in Oregon). So far, between a coworker and myself, we have 15 or 16 scarves of really wild variations in yarn, color, length, width and pattern. The eyelash is a lot of fun and works up fast; so does the chenille which, fortunately, is in a color that is appropriate for one of our guy clients. Eyelash just doesn't say "masculine" and our clients are old enough that the difference is important.
Enough for now, I'll catch up on other Gnarly Gnitting soon.

The Gnarly Gnitter

No comments:

Post a Comment