Saturday, November 20, 2010

Note to Self: Brioche, etc.

When knitting any pattern with brioche stitches, remember it must have side stitches as a border to contain the brioche, which tends to go wild in all directions if not severely confined. Thus, it is best to have something like garter stitch as it has a good stretch without stretching to the limits of brioche.
Lesson learned the hard way: half of a neck scarf knitted with no edge stitches, looked too loopy, knitted the other half with garter edges, looked much better. Didn't like the first half, removed it (pull on a row of stitches until they all straighten out, cut the yarn, pull apart) and continued knitting onto the second half until I had a third half done. Viola! Finished scarf with nice, well-behaved sides and no wrinkling.
Love the brioche stitch but it does take a while, since all those slipped stitches pull up on the work vertically so you have to knit twice as much to go the same distance as regular knitting. I'm wondering how it would work as a sock top? Probably too loose, and I would have to figure out how to do it in rounds since it is based on garter stitch. Purl a row, knit a row I guess.
I am nearing the end of skein #3 on the pale yellow mohair shawl, one more skein to go and it will be finished. I don't think it is going to require any edging since the pattern itself seems to be creating a bit of a scallop. I need to think about what my next shawl pattern will be. The present one is based on Fountain Lace with another small vertical pattern in between each repeat (don't know the name of the smaller pattern, I learned it from knitting a glove).

No comments:

Post a Comment